The NC Workforce System provides many resources for our employers. Below is a brief summary of several of those services. For more information or assistance, please contact Jennie Bowen, Workforce Development Board Director at email@example.com.
Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC)
The WOTC is a federal tax credit available to employers who hire individuals from eligible target groups with significant barriers to employment. Target groups are:
- Unemployed Veterans (including disabled veterans)
- Veterans receiving (SNAP) Food Stamps
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Recipients
- Food Stamp (SNAP) Recipients
- Designated Community Residents (living in Empowerment Zones or Rural Renewal Counties)
- Vocational Rehabilitation Referred Individuals
- Supplemental Security Income Recipients
- Qualified Long-Term Unemployment Recipient
Applications are completed online: https://www.ncworkswotc.com/Logon.aspx. Information is based from the employer completing IRS Form 8850 and ETA Form 9061 which are completed by the employer/employee and kept for records. Businesses must register an account, have a Federal Tax ID Number, and submit the application for each employee no later than 28 days after the start date.
WOTC Resources from the US Department of Labor: https://www.doleta.gov/business/incentives/opptax/wotcResources.cfm
Federal Bonding Program
The Federal Bonding Program is offered as an incentive to employers who are willing to hire those “hard to place” job seekers with criminal records. To qualify, job seekers must:
- “At Risk” includes individuals with
- A history of arrest or conviction of any kind
- A history of substance abuse
- A poor work history
- Bad credit
- A dishonorable discharge from the military
- Provides FREE Insurance to the employer
- $5,000 in coverage (up to $25,000 if necessary)
- Protects against acts of dishonesty, theft, larceny, embezzlement, etc.
- No deductible
- No paperwork
- To establish a bond, the employer
- Must contact their local NCWorks Career Center or the Federal Bonding Coordinator for their area
- Staff will complete all the necessary paperwork and the employer will receive a packet from Union Insurance Group, when approved
For more information, please visit: http://bonds4jobs.com/
Additional information: One Page Handout – Federal Bond Information
NCWorks Mobile Unit
Do you have a large career fair coming up? Need assistance with pre-screening applicants? WE CAN HELP! The NCWorks Mobile Career Career is available to local Workforce Development Boards. If you have an event or career fair and would like to see if the Mobile Unit is available, please contact your local NCWorks Career Center.